Medtronic Global Champions Official Contest Rules
1. Contest Description: Medtronic Global Champions (“Contest”) is a corporate program that recognizes runner athletes from around the world who have persevered through life-changing health conditions and have returned to active life with the help of medical technology and solutions. Twenty runners — 10 ten-mile and 10 marathon participants — are selected each year. Global Champions and their guest-running partners will receive complimentary race entry, air transportation, meals, and lodging to the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and Medtronic TC 10 Mile races in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. Please see judging criteria below for further information regarding the selection process. Prospective candidates apply online by visiting medtronic.com/globalchampions (“Site”), available in early March, 2018 (date subject to change at sponsor’s discretion). In addition to completing the program application and accepting the consent form, candidates must submit a letter of recommendation from a friend, physician, or family member
2. Contest Term: The Contest begins when the Site is activated for accepting entries on or about early March and ends on April 27, 2018 at 11:59:50 pm CST (the Contest Term). All entries must be received during the Contest Term. Sponsor’s computer timeclock is the timekeeper for all Contest purposes, and entries are only valid upon receipt by Sponsor’s computer system.
3. Eligibility: No purchase or payment is necessary to enter or win this Contest. This Contest is only open to participants who meet the following criteria:
Contestants may not be previous Global Champions finalists or employees of the Sponsor, Twin Cities in Motion, or their parent company, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, partners, advertising or promotion agencies, or prize donors, nor may they be members of the immediate families of any of the foregoing, or persons living in their households. THE CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITIED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW and is subject to applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
4. Sponsor: Medtronic, Inc., 1710 Medtronic Parkway Minneapolis, MN 55432-5604
6. Submissions: Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify or refuse entry at any time. Once the entry is submitted, Contestant may not update, revise or rescind the entry. Any entry that is modified after being received may be disqualified. By submitting an entry, you accept all Contest rules and agree to be bound by the decisions of the Sponsor and Judges. All entries, including all submissions, and all legal rights and interests in them, including the rights of copyright, become the exclusive property of Sponsor, who reserves the right to edit, adapt, copyright, publish, transfer, and use any or all of them in all media worldwide, including the internet, without compensation to you or any third party and will not be acknowledged or returned, or any portion thereof. Each entrant agrees to take any actions (including execution of documents) reasonably requested by Sponsor to effect, perfect or evidence the foregoing assignment.
7. Judging: Selection of Finalists: Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges representing Sponsor, and Twin Cities In Motion (the “Judges”) shortly following the Contest Term. Entries will initially be screened for eligibility. Qualified entries are then organized by geography and disease condition and passed along to Judges for scoring.
The Judges will determine the Twenty (20) Finalists based on the following criteria:
Ties will be settled based on the Diversity Criteria referenced above. If there is still a tie, an independent qualified judge will be chosen to score the tied entries and select a winner based on the above criteria. The selection of the Grand Prize Finalists’ submissions shall be made in the Judges’ sole and absolute discretion. Following selection of the potential Finalists, the selected Contestants will undergo a compliance and eligibility review, which may include background checks and health screening checks to verify eligibility. Sponsor may disqualify any potential Finalists should such eligibility and compliance review suggest Contestant might not be eligible or if Sponsor has any health concerns regarding Contestant or if the screening reveals any information about the Contestant which could reflect poorly on Sponsor or the Global Champions program, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. All decisions of the Judges and Sponsor shall be final, and the Judges and Sponsor will not disclose scores for individual submissions or provide any feedback on the judging or screening process. Finalists will be notified on or about June 4, 2018.
8. Prizes and Restrictions: Twenty (20) Grand Prize Finalists (the “Finalists”) ten (10) for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon & ten (10) for the Medtronic TC Mile will each receive a five (5) day, four (4) night Trip for two (2) to Minneapolis for the applicable race. Finalist’s guest must be his/her running partner. If the guest/running partner is a minor, the Finalist must be his/her parent or legal guardian. The trip includes two (2) round-trip airline tickets to Minneapolis/St. Paul from an airport near the Finalist’s place of residence (to be chosen at Sponsor’s discretion), four (4) nights lodging (one standard room with double occupancy), ground transportation to and from the airport, meals, entry to the applicable race for Finalist and guest, and a merchandise package including a Crystal Award for Finalist, running singlet, duffle bag, t-shirt, jacket, long sleeve t-shirt, baseball cap. The approximate retail value (ARV) of the prize package is $7,500. Total Contest (ARV) is $150,000. Each Finalist and guest must travel on the same itinerary unless otherwise agreed by Sponsor. Prize specifics such as flights, transportation, meals, accommodations, and exact dates of travel will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. Actual value of Prize may vary based on timing and location of Finalist, and Finalists will not receive any cash value or substitute prize elements for discrepancies between the actual cost and approximate cost. All other expenses including any additional guests, travel, parking, outside meals, drinks, gratuities, incidentals, insurance of any type, etc. not specified herein are the responsibility of the Finalists and Finalists’ guest(s). Winner is responsible for obtaining any and all necessary travel documents needed to participate in the prize. Winner must take the arrangements made; they cannot be altered, and failure of Winner or Winner’s travel guest(s) to follow such schedule shall not obligate Sponsor in any manner to make alternate arrangements. No substitution or transfer of prize is permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value, if the advertised prize becomes unavailable or impractical. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to the Sponsor (and its designees) without any further compensation, consideration, notice, review, or consent, to unconditionally and irrevocably use, exhibit and publish, in any medium now known or hereinafter known at any time, throughout the world in perpetuity, the following information and materials regarding each Winner and Winner’s guests: (a) name, city and state of residence, age, image, likeness, voice, biographical information, and any statements for advertising, publicity, trade, and public relations purposes, to the extent permitted by law; (b) any submission materials; and (c) any film, tape recording or other reproduction of the appearance or voice of such people upon the awarding or enjoyment of the prize. Prize recipients and guests shall have no claim (including without limitation, claims based upon invasion of privacy, defamation or right of publicity) arising out of any such use or any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion or use in composite form, whether or not intentional. Prize specifics are subject to limitations, restrictions and changes, including any limitations or restrictions associated with airline policies or any government regulations.
Each Finalist will be notified using the contact information provided in his/her entry. If a Finalist is unable to be contacted using the information provided, for any reason, the Finalist may be disqualified and the entry with the next best Judges’ score will be selected as an alternate Finalist. If for any reason any Finalist is ineligible or does not accept the Prize as described above, no cash or other compensation will be paid, and the entry with the next best rating Judges score will be selected as an alternate Finalist. Additionally, if the Finalist is unable to comply with these rules and regulations, the entry with the next best Judges’ score will be selected as an alternate Finalist. Sponsor is not responsible for Finalist limitations that prevent acceptance or use of any prize. Each Contestant preliminarily chosen as a Finalist or alternate Finalist, if applicable, (each, a “Potential Finalist”) may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability, and Publicity Release within ten (10) business days of receipt of such Affidavit and Release, and must possess age-defining documentation (i.e., photo identification) prior to the prize release. Failure to execute and return the required documents within ten (10) days of receipt may subject a Potential Finalist to disqualification and, in such case, the entry with the next best Judges’ score will be selected as an alternate Finalist. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify a Potential Finalist.
9. Taxes: Finalist is solely responsible for all applicable taxes associated with receipt of the Prize. Sponsor will issue U.S. Finalists a 1099 tax form for the value of the prize.
10. General: By entering this Contest, each Contestant warrants that: (a) the Contestant has read, understood, and followed the Contest Rules; (b) the Contestant agrees to be bound by the decisions of Sponsor and the Judges; (c) the Contestant is eligible under these Contest Rules; (d) the submission is accurate, original, and owned by Contestant. All Potential Finalist and their entries may be subject to verification and investigation before being awarded any prizes, including background checks and health screenings. Sponsor will award no more than the number of prizes stated herein. In the event not enough qualified entries are received, Sponsor is not responsible to award more prizes than entries received. This Contest shall be governed by Minnesota law. By participating in this Contest, Contestants agree that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action and Minnesota courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute or litigation arising from or relating to this Contest and that venue shall be only in Minneapolis, Minnesota; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event shall there be a claim or award of attorneys’ fees or costs; and (c) under no circumstances will Contestants be permitted to obtain, and Contestant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO EACH CONTESTANT AND/OR FINALIST.
11. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information associated with or utilized in the Contest or for any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of entries in the Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any incomplete, misdirected, late, or lost entries, or any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, garbled or corrupted data transmitted, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries or entry data. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, then Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
Contestants agree that Sponsor, Judges, Twin Cities in Motion, prize suppliers, advertising and promotion agencies, and their respective parent and affiliate companies, suppliers, printers, distributors, and the respective officers, managers, members, directors, employees, representatives and agents of each and any other person or entity related in any way to this Contest (collectively, the “Contest Entities”) will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless and indemnified by Contestants against, any and all liability, including but not limited to any death, injury, loss or damage of any kind, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse, or use of the prize, participation in this Contest, or while traveling to, preparing for or participating in any prize-related activity. The Contest Entities expressly disclaim any responsibility or liability for injury or loss to any person or property in connection with the delivery and/or subsequent use of the prize, or any portion thereof, awarded.
Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of any of the Contest; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person in Sponsor’s sole discretion. CAUTION: ANY DELIBERATE ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF ANY OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
12. Finalists List: Sponsor will post a list of Finalists on the Site on or about July 31, 2018.
13. Change or Cancellation: Sponsor reserves the right to change the rules or cancel this offer at any time without further obligation or liability.