Celebrating global athletes who are defined by their spirit, not their health conditions.
Candidates must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply.
RUNNERS MUST meet the following criteria:
- 18 years or older.
- Have previously run similar distances — after receiving therapy or undergoing a procedure — to the race for which you are applying. First-time or beginning runners are not allowed.
- Certify you have consulted with a physician who deems you medically fit to participate in the applicable race and provide documentation of medical clearance upon request from the sponsor.
- Have a medical device, therapy, or procedure to treat heart disease, stroke, diabetes, chronic pain, spinal or neurological disorders, gastrointestinal and urological disorders, obesity, or cancer, including a pacemaker, implantable cardioverter defibrillator, spinal device, neurological device, insulin pump, heart valve, coronary or thoracic stent, etc. If you have questions about whether your device, therapy or procedure qualifies, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Potential participants with abdominal aortic stents, abdominal aortic aneurysms, or any type of concurrent or previously undocumented coronary artery disease are ineligible to participate.
- Have a qualified and medically cleared running partner to accompany you in the race.
- Contestants may not be previous Global Champions finalists or employees of Medtronic, Twin Cities in Motion, nor may they be members of the immediate families of any of the foregoing, or persons living in their households.
Eligible medical devices include (but are not limited to):
- Any pacemaker* or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)*
- Any spinal device
- Any neurological device
- Any insulin pump
- Any heart valve*
- Any coronary or thoracic stent
*Runner cannot have concurrent untreated coronary artery disease.
Ineligible medical devices/disease states include:
- Abdominal aortic stent grafts
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)
- Previously documented untreated coronary artery disease
All runners with eligible medical devices are welcome to apply with no restriction on manufacturer. Previous Global Hero participants and Medtronic and Twin Cities in Motion employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.
Twenty runners will be chosen by a committee of Medtronic and Twin Cities in Motion. Recipients will be chosen on a variety of factors, including geography, disease condition, reason for participation, running ability, and entry story and letter or recommendation.
Please refer to the Medtronic Global Champion offical rules for more information.